Friday, September 15, 2017

Book Review: YOU LOVED ME AT MY DARKEST by Evie Harper


25619469


Title: You Loved Me At My Darkest

Author: Evie Harper

Category/Genre: VERY ADULT thriller romance

My Star Rating: 5/5


Goodreads blurb:

Blood is thicker than water…

Having endured more than their share of tragedy, sisters Lily and Sasha embark on a dream holiday—only to find themselves in hell. Kidnapped by a rich madman, Sasha is sold into slavery, while Lily is forced to join The Collection, a unique bevy of exotic beauties enduring frequent horrors at the hands of elite bidders. However, no amount of pain and suffering will break Lily, who will stop at nothing to save her younger sister. Possibly with help from an unlikely ally.

Love is stronger than loyalty…

Attempting to prove his allegiance to his employer, Jake is tasked with guarding the unruly and uncontrollable Lily. He can’t afford to help her in her quest to free Sasha—not if he hopes to fulfill his own agenda. But in their dark, gritty, tension-filled world, solace is taken wherever it’s found. Bonds are formed and hearts engage despite Jake’s resistance and both their attempts at self-preservation.

When certain secrets come to light, the resulting explosion has breathtakingly bittersweet consequences that, by the end, may not leave everyone whole…or alive.


My review: 

I've had this book sitting on my little Kindle carousel for months now.  After reading a couple reviews, I wasn't sure if I would ever be brave enough to read it.  Honestly, I struggled to get through it, but I adored how honest and raw the author was through the entire story.  Evie Harper held no punches, spared no detail as she pulls you into a violent, graphic world that will break your heart a thousand times.  There was no point in the story, from start to finish, where I found myself disconnected from the heroine.  She was defiant, head-strong, and held her own, without seeming pushy and self-absorbed.  Lilly was an admirable female lead.  Jake is broken, flawed, and absolutely redeemable.  I didn't know whose side to choose, only that my heart ached for both of them.  The best part about this book? IT'S FREE! Grab it, and read it if you're not faint of heart. 

P.S. I feel compelled to mention there may be triggers here for victims of sexual abuse.  Some may find it therapeutic to see their experiences in black and white, others may have a difficult time dealing with the memories it drags to the surface.  PLEASE read with care <3 br="" nbsp="">

No comments:

Post a Comment