Wednesday, December 11, 2013

PitchWars update!

I am so excited to tell you all that I have been selected as an alternate in PitchWars!!  The unimaginably talented Cora Carmack brought me onto her team and I couldn't be more honored!

excited gif photo: Excited GIF 340x-1.gif


For me personally, this is a huge milestone and a much needed accomplishment.  I was beginning to doubt myself, so this came at just the right time.  The other mentors that I had submitted to have already sent me phenomenally helpful advice and even though I'm still waiting on Cora's response I thought I would share something that I have figured out based on what the others had to say:

I had written my query letter as if the person reading had already read the book.  Bad Mary!

None of them said this directly, but from their input it was clear as day.  SO!  What else to do but fix it, right?  I stayed up all night re-writing my query until I was totally satisfied with it and I'll also be sending it to a couple of beta-readers to double check that it makes sense out of context.  PitchWars is already paying off for me, personally, and I would like to extend my greatest thanks to Brenda Drake for making it possible.  And, of course it goes with out saying, I am eternally grateful to ALL of the mentors that gave their time to help the next generation of writers.  You're all awesome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment